Saturday, November 2, 2013

I WILL ALWAYS BE HIS #1 FAN!


What better way to spend my Saturday morning, after eating a bowl of cereal, sipping a cup of hot Chai and watching my husband practice his online guitar lessons!  Just when you think you know someone, they go and do something totally out of the box. 21 years together and I never knew he wanted to learn to play the guitar. Seriously, I didn't! 


Is it a hidden dream of his, to one day play at a gig, in some small, back alley club, where locals go after a hard days work, for a drink, good conversation and good music?   It could be his dream, (he has not confessed that yet) but it suddenly occurred to me, that when we were at the Rehoboth Beach Jazz Fest a few weeks ago, I saw how mesmerized he was by anyone who was playing a guitar.

When we were at the Delaware Distillery jazz fest after party, listening to Four80East and Matt Marshak kick out some awesome tunes, we had the perfect seats, right next to the band.  James never left his seat, and Matt was standing directly next to him, pounding away on his guitar, and his eyes were fixated on the guitar and how Matt was playing.  I then thought to myself, wow, it is not only about the great music we are hearing, but for James, in his mind, he's probably thinking how he would love to one day play 1/2 as good.

Whether he will ever reach his full potential at playing in front of an audience is really not the point; The point of it all is the journey he is on doing something for himself; something that motivates him, inspires him and gives him joy. Myself, his children and his extended family & friends, can be his audience, his fans and I think he would be just fine with that..Are you doing something, an activity, that tugs at your soul, that gives you joy?

"Focus on the journey, not the destination.
 Joy is found not in finishing an activity, but in doing it"...Greg Anderson



2 comments: