Friday, January 17, 2014

"A Life Less Planned"

The "Bucket List". Yes, ever since that movie starring two of Hollywood's most famous and talented actors took to the big screen to show America how to live life to the fullest and put all of your personal issues aside, and of course that was all due to the fact that they both were terminally ill with a short time to live,  but those two words have appeared in more places than I can count.

So I thought to myself after watching the movie several times, if we created our own "bucket list", it would go on forever, because when I think about it, there are so many things that each of us want to do in this lifetime, but I also asked myself and my husband, do we really want to live our lives according to the "List" or just Wing it?  One does sound far more interesting and adventurous than other.  

Now that doesn't mean that we will go and explore Europe for a month, (retirement is just not within reach yet) or learn how to fly an airplane (although that is pretty darn adventurous) but really, anything that you do in this life outside the normal daily routine of living is quite adventurous and interesting; horseback riding, cooking classes, and so much more that you can just do on a whim.  Yes, doctor appointments and weddings require a schedule (on 2nd thought a wedding can be done on a whim too)!

Of course some things need to be planned, such as 2 big jazz events we are planning to attend in the Spring and Fall, or if we decide to relocate upon retirement, that requires planning (or does it?) but pretty much everything else, we have no idea at this moment. But that is actually not a bad thing.

The Hubby & My Buddy
I am a planner, especially when it comes to planning fun things to do ;  I love the journey that it takes me on and the anticipation that builds up until that big day.  However, some things just don't need to be a planned. Many people live their lives according to "the schedule", and I guess in some instances, it makes them feel more in control of their lives;  I can relate, because I still do to some degree; but as I get older, I am realizing, that daily planner, and smartphone calendar that I have, at times is really cramping my lifestyle.

So for the most part, me and the hubby have decided, for 2014 and hopefully beyond, we are going to wing it through this 2nd half of our life and see where it takes us.  Our kids have been adults for some time now, so we have already entered a new phase of life without report cards and babysitters.

I am actually looking forward to all the new discoveries that will come from "Our Life Less Planned". The journey truly matters so much more than the destination!

Does your life revolve around your daily planner?  Ever felt like throwing caution to the wind and winging it every now and then?  


"Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans"......John Lennon...



No comments:

Post a Comment