Tuesday, August 5, 2014

In My Listening Booth with the late "Teena Marie"

Call her a song bird, or an ivory sister with a soulful voice, but one thing she wasn't, is just an ordinary singer. The late Teena Marie was everything you could want in a singer, whether you were feeling like the blues, madly in love, or just going through the motions in a new relationship, Teena had a song for you.  Unfortunately I never got a chance to see her sing live, but I am grateful to have a good collection of her many many great songs.  One of my all time favorites that I still play often is "Miracles need wings to fly".  Oh how I love this song, and she sang it like no one else could.

"Last night I saw a shooting star fall from the sky, I thought of you and wished you here.  "I tried to kiss your lips, invade your private dreams, but miracles need wings to fly".

Beautiful words from a song that tugs at my heart strings every time I hear it. I often wonder when I hear this song, who was she talking about. What happened in that relationship that helped her create this song. Who knows, she could have made the song up out of thin air, but when I hear lyrics like that, the only thought that comes to mind, this is being sung from the heart, from experience.

The soulful range in her voice is rare and hard to master. It reminds me of a someone who is gifted as an visual artist, a great chef or musician.  That type of talent comes from within, from the soul.

Whether a song is written by the artists themselves or song writer, only someone as gifted and talented as Teena Marie, Aretha Franklin, Phyllis Hyman, and many more female artists, can sing the most magical of songs.

RIP Teena!

"Miracles Need Wings To Fly"




No comments:

Post a Comment