Tuesday, October 14, 2014

A Mother, Her Son and the next chapter of his Life....

It took me some to write this post, because I wasn't sure if I wanted to wait until my son and his new wife had their 1st child, but then I got to thinking why wait, and what better time to write this as his birthday approaches this weekend.

My son's wedding day was one of the happiest days of my life on this earth, because not only did I see my son marry a beautiful young lady, but I also got to see him begin a new chapter in his life as a married man.

The days of taking his first steps, pre-school, high school, prom, graduation have all come and gone, and now he begins a new chapter in his life.

I read a quote once that said, "mothers raise their daughters, and love their sons".  At first I thought that doesn't make much sense, but then after giving it some thought, I got it.   Although I don't have a daughter, I am a daughter, and this quote is so very true.  Although I know my Mom loved me, she did more molding me to be the woman that I am today, but her and my brothers relationship was on a different level. I didn't understand it then, but now having my own son, I do now.  The Bond between a mother and her son, is unlike any relationship to ever exist. It just is.

My Son has been married one year now, and I still tear up when I think about that special day, and how very happy he looked.  He was a bundle of joy on that sunny, warm day in June. While I am sitting in the hair salon getting myself ready for his big day, he must have called me 4 times in under 2 hrs.

Our Mother and Son dance at his wedding
I expected this if I had a daughter, but my son, that was hilarious, but warmed my heart at the same time.  He had all of his groomsmen with him the morning of the wedding including his best man, but who did he call, his Mother.  Most of the calls were just making sure everything would go smoothly, but I think he also just wanted to hear me say, "All will be just fine, its your wedding day".

I will always be his Mother, I gave him life and he brought joy into mine, but this new chapter in his life is not about our relationship as a mother and her child, that chapter is closed; This is about his new beginnings with his wife, friend, partner, and future mother of his children.

Exchanging of their Vows





We all want the best for our kids, and when they become adults we don't know what paths they will chose for themselves, but we hope for the best. I've always tried to be the type of parent who would let my son discover what it is that is best for his life, but I am always there if he needs to talk, or for me to just listen.  When he first told me he wanted to marry Morgan, I asked him, is this the woman that you want not only to spend your life with, but to be the mother of your future children?, and he answered Yes with a glow on his face.  He is and always will be the love of my life, but now I could not be more grateful in knowing he has found his queen.





I had a special talk with him before his big day, reminding him that Love doesn't hurt but its not a fairytale either.  As we grow, we change, we mature, we make mistakes, but most importantly, we must stay true to who we are no matter what.  Take nothing or no one for granted, and treat your wife like the queen that she is, and I have no doubt if she is a good woman, she will treat you equally the same.

Next up...The grand kids!  I could not have asked for two better people to be the parents of my future grandchildren.


"The mother is the first teacher of the child, the message she gives that child, that child gives to the world"....Malcolm X




No comments:

Post a Comment